Note: This document is regularly updated and is subject to change without notice. We invite you to share your feedback with us, including reporting issues with our products, via our online contact form.
Supported Operating Systems and kernel versions
Latest supported Linux kernel version: v. 6.06
BestCrypt Container Encryption for Linux supports the following operating systems:
- Ubuntu LTS (16.04+)
- Debian 8+
- RedHat / CentOS 8+
- Fedora 28+
- Linux Mint 18+
- Pop!_OS 20.10+
- SUSE Linux Enterprise 12, 15
- OpenSuSE Leap 15.1+
For different Linux distributions, please contact Jetico Technical Support.
27-April-2023 | v.3.3.0 - 2681
- Added support for Ubuntu 23.04
10-January-2023 | v.3.3.0 - 2677
- Added support for Linux kernel v.6
28-October-2022 | v.3.3.0 - 2669
- Added support for Ubuntu 22.10
12-September-2022 | v.3.3.0 - 2666
- Added support for Pop!_OS 22.04
- Added support for Linux kernel v.5.18-19
16-December-2021 | v.3.3.0 - 2653
- Added support for CentOS 8.5
13-December-2021 | v.3.3.0 - 2651
- Added support for Fedora 35 and Pop!_OS 21.04
- Added support for Linux kernel v.5.14-15
24-May-2021 | v.3.3.0 - 2630
- Added support for Fedora 34, Ubuntu 21.04 and Pop!_OS 20.10
- Added support for Linux kernel v.5.11
29-October-2020 | v.3.3.0 - 2610
- Added support for Fedora 33 and Ubuntu 20.10
- Added support for Linux kernel v.5.8
15-June-2020 | v.3.3.0 - 2606
- Improved cross-platform compatibility for large containers (2TB+)
- Fixed minor bugs
03-June-2020 | v.3.3.0 - 2598
- Added support for Fedora 32 and Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
- Added support for Linux kernel v.5.6
- Migrated BestCrypt Control Panel UI to Qt5
- Updated once-click installer not to force kernel update on RPM systems unless necessary
- Fixed minor bugs
13-September-2019 | v.3.2.0 - 2560
- Updated list of supported Operating Systems
- Updated bctool utility
- Updated product documentation
- Fixed minor bugs
04-December-2018 | v.3.1.0 - 2535
- Fixed installation issue on some systems with new Linux Kernel (4.16+)
03-May-2018 | v.3.1.0 - 2524
- Added support for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (Bionic Beaver)
24-April-2018 | v.3.1.0 - 2523
- Added support for SUSE Linux Enterprise 12 SP3
- Added support for openSUSE Leap 42.3
22-March-2018 | v.3.1.0 - 2516
- Improved compatibility with Linux kernel v.4.14+.
- Added support for Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia.
06-April-2017 | v.3.1.0
- Added capability to protect container files from unauthorized or accidental commands with 'Container Guard'.
- Added capability to dismount containers after inactivity as set by the user with 'Resident' mode.
- Added capability to mount containers in less time by enabling 'Resident' mode, an automatic password prompt at startup.
- Added support for AES-NI hardware encryption.
16-March-2017 | v.3.0.4
- Fixed error when loading kernel modules on SUSE Linux Enterprise 12 SP2.
03-February-2017 | v.3.0.3
- Fixed error with file permissions when installing Fedora RPM package.
- Fixed error when checking licenses for package upgrade.
18-January-2017 | v.3.0.2
- Added support for SUSE Linux Enterprise 12 SP2.
- Fixed minor error when mounting hidden containers after creation.
16-November-2016 | v.3.0.1
- Added support for Linux kernel 4.8 (Fedora 24 updates).
04-October-2016 | v.3.0
Commercial version 3.0 of BestCrypt Container Encryption for Linux released.
- Added ability to create containers with Keyfiles.
- Improved compatibility with containers created on Windows, Mac OS and Android.
- Added ability to perform several operations on different containers simultaneously.
- Added new key stretching functionality, including control over iteration counter and salt randomizing.
- Added ability to set mount point, keyfiles, hash algorithm, iterations count, salt and encrypt header at container creation time.
- Added strong random generation mode at container creation time.
- Added ability to encrypt headers to disguise encrypted files as random data.
- Added ability to backup, restore, set keyfiles, encrypt and decrypt header within enhanced Command Line.
- Simplified creation process, including progress bar of encryption operations, with revamped GUI.
- Added ability to filter containers.