Note: This document is regularly updated and is subject to change without notice. We invite you to share your feedback with us, including reporting issues with our products, via our online contact form.
Supported Operating Systems
BCWipe for UNIX is developed to be cross-platform and should run on any POSIX-compliant UNIX flavor. It was successfully tested on following systems:
- AIX 5.x, 6.1
- Digital UNIX 4 - obsolete, use BCWipe v1.7
- FreeBSD 4.0-10.1
- HP-UX 11
- Linux 2.0-2.6, 3.x
- MacOS 10.5
- OpenBSD 4.4-5.6
- SGI Irix 6.5 (wiping block devices was not tested) - obsolete, use BCWipe v.1.7
- Solaris 9-10
28-April-2015 | v.1.9-13
- Fixed name handling for U.S. DoD wiping schemes with modified number of passes.
22-April-2015 | v.1.9-12
- Fixed recursive subdirectory wiping problem in NAS mode.
12-January-2015 | v.1.9-11
- Improved Wipe Free Space behavior.
- Improved disk size detection in AIX.
- Fixed random generation for unaligned access.
16-March-2012 | v.1.9-9
- Preserve file times when wiping its symbolic links.
- Added build support for Mac OS X 10.7.
14-February-2011 | v.1.9-8
- User interface extension added for Mac OS X 10.6.
- Resource fork wiping added for Mac OS X.
- BCWipe now shows the device where free space is to be wiped.
- User documentation updated.
24-September-2010 | v.1.9-7
- Clean up temporary files after wiping free space on Mac OS X.
08-June-2010 | v.1.9-6
- System random replaced with Bob Jenkins ISAAC random number generator. See here:http://burtleburtle.net/bob/
- Direct IO access mode is set as preferred for block devices.
- Improved disk size detection on AIX systems.
- Added multi-thread mode for wiping block devices.
09-February-2010 | v.1.9-4
- Improved HP-UX compatibility.
- Enhanced 'wipe free space' operation, so interrupted process will not leave temporary files.
- Improved reliability of deleting temporary files.
10-September-2009 | v.1.9-3
- Fixed hang-up on special files under Solaris OS.
20-May-2009 | v.1.9-2
- AIX 5.3 compatibility bug fixed.
28-April-2009 | v.1.9-1
- New wiping schemes added: German BCI/VSITR, U.S. DoE M 205.1-2, Bruce Schneier's algorithm.
- User defined wiping schemes support added.
- Verbose logging support added.
- Automatic configuration script (GNU Autoconf) added.
- Minor bugs fixed.
28-August-2008 | v.1.7-7
- Fixed critical bug for AIX 5.2.
04-February-2008 | v.1.7-3
- Fixed temporary files creation on HP-UX 11.
20-December-2007 | v.1.7-2
- Fixed error in getting linked device size for Solaris.
11-December-2007 | v.1.7
- Last pass data verification added according to U.S. DoD 5220.22-M.
17-February-2006 | v.1.6
- Options for test wiping passes added (overwriting by zeros and overwriting by writing sector numbers).
- Minor bugs fixed.
24-March-2004 | v.1.4
29-August-2003 | v.1.3
18-October-2002 | v.1.2
- Program options changed; User documentation added.
- BCWipe for UNIX v1.1 is announced.