BestCrypt Volume Encryption on Windows Bootable CD
This information is helpful if you want to
create a bootable Windows CD/DVD with BestCrypt Volume Encryption software.
BestCrypt Volume Encryption includes a variety of ways to recover encrypted computers. After encrypting
boot/system volumes, the program recommends to save a rescue file or create a rescue bootable disk. With the
help of a rescue bootable disk, encrypted boot/system volumes on the computer can be decrypted in case of emergency,
such as if the computer will not boot. Yet this solution is not always the best option. In some situations it might
be more convenient to boot the computer with a bootable Windows Live CD, and then access encrypted volumes to
solve problems without decrypting the computer. This article explains how to create a Windows Live CD with the
BestCrypt Volume Encryption plugin (BCVE plugin), so that encrypted disk volumes can be mounted after booting the
computer with the Live CD.
Requirements to create a Windows Bootable CD with the BCVE plugin
- Program to create ISO image file.
In this case we will use the WinBuilder program to create the ISO image file.
- Windows installation disk.
WinBuilder utilizes files from the disk to create a Windows Bootable CD. A Windows 10 installation disk is
used here as an example.
- BCVE plugin files.
WinBuilder will include the files in the Bootable image. The files will be used to get BestCrypt Volume
Encryption software into the Windows environment that loads after booting the computer with the Bootable CD.
Creating a Windows Bootable CD with the BCVE plugin
- Download the Win10PE SE (complete) archive and extract it to a directory on your computer.
For example, to C:\winbuilder.
- In Windows Explorer, open the directory where you extracted the archive to, and navigate to the subfolder "C:\winbuilder\Projects\Win10PESE\Apps"
- Create the subfolder "BCVE" here, and the subfolder 'files' inside the BCVE.
- Download the BCVE plugin. Copy the extracted file "bcve.script" to BCVE directory.
- Copy BestCrypt Volume Encryption files from the computer where it is installed (for example, the installed files may be in
C:\Program Files\Jetico\BestCrypt Volume Encryption) to the folder in your WinBuilder BCVE\files sub-folder:
The picture below illustrates the required file configuration before running the process:
- Prepare a folder with Windows installation files. If you have an ISO image, run 'Mount' command from right-click menu, and the image
will be mounted as CD drive on your computer. In the illustration below, this Windows image file is mounted as F: drive and contains Windows 10 system files.
- Run the file C:\winbuilder\BuilderSE.exe. Click
and enter the path to your Windows installation files.
Make sure that "BCVE" subfolder exists in the left panel under "Apps".
to create an ISO image of the Windows Live CD.
- The output file will appear in C:\winbuilder\ISO. Burn the ISO image file to a CD, or create a bootable USB, using a software like
ISO to USB or Rufus.
When booting from the bootable USB disk or CD, you will load the following Windows-like environment:
- Run BestCrypt Volume Encryption and try to mount or decrypt your encrypted volumes.
WinBuilder Copyright (c) 2006-2018 Nuno Brito. All Rights Reserved.
BestCrypt Volume Encryption Plugin Copyright (c) 2018 Pepa Kokes. All rights reserved.
BestCrypt Volume Encryption Copyright (c) 2005-2018 Jetico,Inc. All rights reserved.