- 19 November 2014
100% HHS And HIPAA Compliance In BestCrypt Base 2.0
HELSINKI, Finland - November 19, 2014 – Many recent HIPAA breaches highlight the growing need to encrypt USB drives and other removable storage devices. Jetico, leader in developing HIPAA compliant encryption, offers a new solution to stop this urgent problem by releasing BestCrypt Base version 2.0. Jetico's disk encryption software allows easy and transparent distribution of encryption policies for removable drives. Remote Key Storage in BestCrypt Base follows formal guidance from HHS¹ while not disturbing the natural workflow and productivity of your staff.
Jetico CEO Michael Waksman says, "Last year, one third of all data breaches were reported as due to loss or theft of unencrypted portable devices, like laptops and USB sticks. With the barrage of costly HIPAA fines in the news, more and more healthcare offices are seeking a solution to this problem. By definition, encryption is the answer – disguising sensitive data from unwanted eyes – yet encryption is too often perceived as complicated and expensive."
According to Redspin BREACH REPORT, 35% of 2013 incidents were due to the loss or theft of an unencrypted laptop or other portable electronic device².
Waksman continues, "Make encryption acceptable for laws and approachable for users – this is the core idea behind Jetico's latest innovation, BestCrypt Base. In the initial release, we knocked down encryption barriers on desktop computers and laptops. Version 2 now extends this simplicity to protection of USB sticks and external hard drives."
About Jetico's Disk Encryption Software
BestCrypt Base version 2.0 empowers administrators to distribute encryption policies for removable storage devices. Encrypted USB drives can be set according to user need:
- Office-based use only - Remote Key Storage complies with HHS recommendations, meaning encryption keys do not reside where patient data is stored; no passwords are needed and removable drives are automatically mounted and accessible once plugged in
- Permitted to be brought off network - Password protection allows use outside the office; users must enter a password when plugging in a removable drive
Unencrypted removable drives will be optionally accessible for 'read only' or not accessible at all. Since data can be created, copied or modified only on encrypted removable storage, sensitive information cannot be taken outside the 'Base'.
BestCrypt Base version 2.0 offers the following added features and benefits:
- Encryption policy distribution for removable drives - Users can now be forced to use only encrypted USB drives
- Automatic encryption of removable drives - Encryption can be invisible to users with no password required
- Protection against malware injection - Unencrypted removable drives can be blocked from all read/write access; unencrypted drives potentially containing malware cannot be read, preventing infection of the client computer
- Full support for UEFI-based computers - Jetico disk encryption is fully compatible with the latest UEFI-based computers from all known major brands
- Enhanced reporting system - Administrators can gather complete, updated information on the status of each client computer, including key server settings
- Overall performance boost - 30% speed increase compared to version 1.0, from updated driver
Jetico provides military-standard data protection software for sensitive and mission-critical data throughout the lifecycle. Trusted for over 10 years by the U.S. Department of Defense, Jetico's BCWipe can wipe selected files beyond forensic recovery such as in response to classified data spills, while BCWipe Total WipeOut can erase hard drive data entirely such as for disposal or decommission. To protect stored data, Jetico's BestCrypt delivers strong encryption that's easy to use for whole disks, virtual drives and selected files or folders. Enterprise Editions of Jetico software include central management for control of client software on remote computers.
Jetico products are trusted by government and military agencies, all of the top 10 U.S. defense contractors, many national laboratories, as well as various other enterprises and a wide global base of home and small business users in over 100 countries. Founded in 1995, Jetico is privately held and headquartered in the Otaniemi Science Park in Helsinki, Finland. For more information please visit jetico.com.
¹ U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, Guidance to Render Unsecured Protected Health Information Unusable, Unreadable, or Indecipherable to Unauthorized Individuals, [Online], Available: http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/administrative/breachnotificationrule/brguidance.html [18 Nov 2014].
² Redspin, BREACH REPORT 2013: Protected Health Information (PHI) February 2014 [Online], Available: http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/administrative/breachnotificationrule/brguidance.html [18 Nov 2014].
Sales and Marketing Manager, Jetico
Phone (U.S.): 1-202-742-2901