- 24 February 2014
BestCrypt Base aids healthcare in using HIPAA compliant encryption software without disturbing natural workflow
HELSINKI, Finland - February 24, 2014 – To address the urgent need to use encryption for HIPAA compliance, data protection software developer Jetico has announced the release of BestCrypt Base. Built on Jetico's superior whole disk encryption, BestCrypt Base prevents data breaches from lost or stolen computers containing electronic protected health information (ePHI). Healthcare customers can now rely on a HIPAA compliant encryption software that won’t disturb natural workflow - startup and shutdown can work the same as always with BestCrypt Base.
Ray Young, Information Technology Officer at NYC REACH, Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, says, "Massive fines from non-compliance are now coming more and more often. But healthcare offices still resist using data protection software. Encryption is falsely perceived as complicated, expensive and slow - in other words, people imagine that it’s a real headache."
Young continues, "With BestCrypt Base, finally encryption is easy, simple and reliable. Plus it’s stealthy and affordable. Small and medium healthcare offices can struggle with integrating technical solutions, but now they are out of excuses to resist encryption for HIPAA compliance. Personally, I use Jetico software on all my computers and recommend it to anyone that needs to have peace of mind for sensitive data. I just love it! I prefer them to monolithic companies because Jetico is entirely focused on data protection – that’s all they do."
Developed on needs learned from the U.S. healthcare market, BestCrypt Base has been designed to deliver an ideal solution for any cover entities that must comply with HIPAA, but are concerned about frustrations related to using encryption software.
Jetico CEO Michael Waksman focuses on the user benefit claiming, "Jetico’s new BestCrypt solution addresses two major pains in the U.S. healthcare market. First, we eliminate the risk of severe financial penalties for non-compliance with HIPAA. Second, our solution overcomes perceived complications of using and managing encryption. By running transparently, BestCrypt Base allows your staff to continue working naturally without the need to learn additional computer skills."
When using BestCrypt Base, encryption keys reside on a dedicated Key Server. By default, the keys are separated from the media where patient data is stored, as strongly recommended by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).
Waksman adds, "BestCrypt Base uniquely features Remote Key Storage. Jetico's latest encryption innovation was driven by our desire to help customers easily follow guidance issued by HHS."
BestCrypt Base offers the following benefits and features:
- Remote Key Storage to physically separate encryption keys from patient data - As per guidance issued by Health and Human Services (HHS), "To avoid a breach of the confidential process or key, these decryption tools should be stored on a device or at a location separate from the data they are used to encrypt or decrypt."¹
- Adjustable security settings in a simple click - Computers can be office-based use only (desktops, servers) or permitted to be brought off network (moveable laptops)
- Easy installation and automatic encryption of client computers - Encryption can now be invisible to users with startup and shutdown working the same as always
- Encryption of all disks residing within the local network - Built upon latest version of BestCrypt Volume Encryption, including support for Windows 8, UEFI and GPT
- Minimal administration in simple management console (access control, key back-ups)
- Inexpensive disk-less hardware for Key Server (under $50) - Low system requirements needed on dedicated server for encryption key
- Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) in XTS encryption mode with 256-bit key - Gain peace of mind with HIPAA compliance to avoid costly penalties
Jetico provides military-standard data protection software for sensitive and mission-critical data throughout the lifecycle. Trusted for over 10 years by the U.S. Department of Defense, Jetico's BCWipe is for clearing files with surgical precision such as in response to classified data spills, while BCWipe Total WipeOut can erase hard drive data entirely such as for disposal or decommission. Jetico's BestCrypt protects the data you keep with strong encryption that’s easy to use. Enterprise Editions of Jetico software include Jetico Central Manager to empower Administrators with control of client software on remote computers.
Jetico products are trusted by government and military agencies, all of the top 10 U.S. defense contractors, many national laboratories, as well as various other enterprises and a wide global base of home and small business users in over 100 countries. Founded in 1995, Jetico is privately held and headquartered in the Otaniemi Science Park in Helsinki, Finland. For more information please visit jetico.com.
¹ U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, Guidance to Render Unsecured Protected Health Information Unusable, Unreadable, or Indecipherable to Unauthorized Individuals, [Online], Available: http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/administrative/breachnotificationrule/brguidance.html [14 Feb 2014].
Sales and Marketing Manager, Jetico
Phone (U.S.): 1-202-742-2901